Thursday, May 8, 2014

Ooh, New Shiny Blog!

I have been running for just about a year.  I did come to a point last year, before I did my 5k, that I felt like a runner.  Then, I injured myself and lost all forward momentum.... Maybe I should start at the beginning.

Hi, I'm Amanda.  I used to be in the Navy, but that ended in 2011 because I couldn't lose the weight that was keeping me out of regulations.  When I discharged, I spiraled into a depression that was centered around my weight and self-image.  This lasted for about 2 years.  During this time, I gained a lot of weight, which helped keep me in the depression.

Finally, I decided I needed to make a change.  I NEEDED to be healthy.  So, in February 2013, my husband and I decided to change to a primarily plant based diet.  That means no meat, no eggs, no dairy.  I dove right in and, for the most part, never looked back.  In the beginning, I did have the odd order of cheese sticks, or get just bean and cheese nachos.... but I mostly avoid dairy now, as I've developed an intolerance for it.  Now, I did not force my husband to change with me.  We agreed that we would not have meat/eggs/dairy at home, just for simplicity sake, but he has whatever he wants when we're out.

Shortly after deciding on a plant based diet, I started running.  I believe that was in May or June of 2013, but I can't be sure at this point.  I decided I was going to run a 5k by the end of the year, and started training with a C25K (Couch 2 5k) app.  In November, I started having some bad pains in my hip.  I'm pretty sure it's from running on a tiny ( 18 laps - 1 mile) track in one direction.  I think this over-stressed the left hip.  So, I stopped running until my planned 5k on 14 December.  I was DETERMINED to do this run.  My goal was to 1. Finish the race, and 2. Don't be last.  I was not able to run the whole thing, but I actually finished under 30 minutes and in the top 25%.  I am VERY proud of that.  But, I shouldn't have done the race.  I ended up in pain again for another 2 months.  I didn't run - or even walk if I could avoid it - until the end of February 2014.  I've started back on the training - back at the very beginning.  Between bad weather and not pushing too hard so I can avoid more injury, I just completed W4D2 yesterday.

So, now we're all up to date.  I plan on posting every day after my run - so that's 3 posts a week, unless I end up hurt or something.  I will be posting pictures, discussing my run progress, and probably posting some yummy recipes.

And now, what inspired the name of the blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment